Refuse Collection Rules
Rules & Regulations Governing the Collection of Residential Refuse
Yard waste picks up will not shift days unless a holiday falls on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, although our refuse workers usually work on holidays. A notice will appear in the Owasso Reporter or you may call the City of Owasso Public Works at 918-272-4959.
For additional information, please view the City of Owasso recycling page of the website at or call the Owasso Public Works Department at 918-272-4959.
- The City of Owasso will collect your city-issued green poly cart for refuse (only) along with 3 30 gallon trash bags once per week on a designated pickup day, provided that during the months of April through October, no yard waste (lawn clippings, leaves, brush) will be mixed in any manner with the other residential refuse. All trash must be bagged. The city will not pick up and is not responsible for damaged containers that are not city issued.
- If a cart is overweight, it will be the responsibility of the customer to reduce the weight of the cart (Maximum 200 lbs.)
- Damage to carts due to abuse, misuse or negligence by the customer may result in a replacement charge. Missing polycarts must be reported on our Lost or Stolen Cart form or call 918-272-4959.
- No modifications may be made to the cart, including adding lid straps. Any modifications may result in trash not being collected.
- All carts and excess refuse bags (not to exceed 3) must be placed within 4 feet of the curb.
- All the refuse shall be placed at the curb prior to 7 a.m. on the collection day.
- Household refuse and yard waste shall not be placed at the curb prior to 24 hours before collection day.
- In the interest of a cleaner neighborhood, the city requires all refuse containers at the curb to be removed within 12 hours after being emptied.
- Ashes must be cold and placed in a separate bag prior to placement in cart.
- All excreta, human or animal, including diapers and cat litter, shall be placed in the residential refuse cart in sealed bags for collection.
- All wet garbage, including fish cleaning, remains, shall be placed in the residential refuse cart in sealed plastic bags for collection.
- After the yard waste season, brush shall be tied in bundles not to exceed 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter and placed in refuse bags or your green polycart for collection as residential waste.
The following items will not be collected by the City of Owasso
- Cans and 55-gallon drums will not be emptied. Only city issued polycarts will be picked up along with three 30 gallon trash bags.
- Car batteries, toxic waste or liquids, motor oil, paint, auto tires, piles of lumber, bricks, dirt, stones, sheetrock, carpet, furniture, appliances, boxes, cardboard, packing materials, metal or medical waste. (Boxes and cardboard may be dropped off at the Owasso Recycle Center at no charge).
- All yard waste is to be separated, from April through October, from other residential refuse and must be placed in the city approved clear compost bags or city issued red polycarts if curbside pickup is desired. Such yard waste will be collected weekly on the day designated for your area (Monday - Thursday.) Brush shall be tied in bundles not to exceed 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter. These bundles shall be placed in a red polycart or a city supplied clear bag at the curbside for collection on the same day designated for general yard waste.
- The city shall make approved clear compost bags available for purchase at a price of $9 per package of 10 plus applicable sales tax and shall assess no other fees for the disposal of yard waste contained in such approved bags. The approved clear compost bags shall be offered for sale at City Hall (200 S. Main), the Owasso Recycle Center (499 S. Main), and the Owasso QuickTrip stores.
- Red yard waste polycarts are for yard waste collection only. The carts are available upon request for an additional monthly refuse fee. To request a red yard waste polycart call the Utility Billing Department during normal business hours at 918-376-1520.
Metropolitan Environmental Trust and Tulsa Household Pollutant Collection Facility
Owasso has membership to the Metropolitan Environmental Trust (MET), and through the MET, also has access to the Tulsa Household Pollutant Collection Facility. To schedule a time to drop off items at any of the 4 MET locations, please call (918) 584-0584 or visit their website. To drop off items at the Tulsa HHP Facility, call the MET at (918) 584-0584, or use the linked flyer for more details.